There will be a memorial service in Sarah's honor at Taft on Saturday, February 19th at 2:30pm. We anticipate that a large number of people will want to participate. Space and seating is incredibly limited here at Taft. We want to make sure that her family and closest friends have ample space to be present on Saturday. We are going to post a web link so that those who have been following Sarah’s story on her blog and through the community may be able to watch a live webcast of the memorial. We are asking that anyone who has been following her life and story from a distance to join together with family or friends as you participate and celebrate via the webcast, so that there is enough space for those who have been closest to her and Eric to be in the building on Saturday.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial contributions be made to either the Spring Branch Education Foundation, 955 Campbell Rd., Suite 206, Houston, TX 77024 for the Sarah Chidgey Hughes Scholarship Fund or to the “Shine Bright” Fund that has been established in Sarah’s memory, at the Alamo Heights School Foundation Shine Bright Fund to support and inspire teachers.
Grace and Peace

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI don't know Sarah or Eric. I came here vi a facebook friend. I have been moved and challenged to read this entire blog. I am so sorry.
ReplyDeletewhen Dwight L Moody said as he neared death. “You will read in the papers that Moody is dead. Don't you believe a word of it! At that moment I shall be more alive than I am now; I shall have gone up higher, out of this old clay tenement into a house that is immortal – a body that death cannot touch, that sin cannot taint; a body fashioned like His glorious body. "The world is receding and heaven opening."
Does anyone know if/when the memorial service will be replayed? I didn't check the blog in time to see the original memorial service and I have been checking back several times a day for a replay but have not seen any updates. Does anyone have any more information? Thank you so much...
ReplyDeleteWill the memorial service be replayed because I didn't get to go and if I did I would have been to sad.I miss Ms.Chidgey a lot.I was one of her students.I loved it when she danced and singed.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if or when the memorial service that was held at Ecclesia in Houston will be replayed. However, Sarah's uncle Joe created a beautiful and moving tribute to the memory of Sarah that was shown at the reception after the memorial service at St. Lukes in San Antonio. The tribute can be accessed at this link: http://vimeo.com/20353297 . David and Denise Chidgey
ReplyDeleteI just heard that there are plans to provide a link so that people can see the memorial if they would like. Staff at Ecclesia are working to resolve some technical issues. David Chidgey
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the video,it's very emotional.
ReplyDeleteWe will always remember Sweet Sarah,such beautiful woman inside and out.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Eric, her parents, her sister and her whole family and friends.
Nacinovich Family from MWE
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe video was so wonderful and special, just like Sarah! Thank you for sharing it with everyone. It is amazing that almost every picture of Sarah is so beautifully perfect!
ReplyDeleteI miss Sarah so much! I didn't realize how much it meant to me to be able to see and hear beautiful Sarah in her videos. It always made my day when I saw that Sarah had posted a new video because her never- ending smile always lit up my heart. Over the last six months, I have learned and grown because of Sarah and I will always be so grateful to her.
Mr. and Mrs. Chidgey, Brooke and Eric, after meeting you all, I see where all of Sarah's Wonderfulness, Exuberance and Beauty comes from. You are a beautiful, sweet and special family.
Eric, I introduced myself, my son Griffin and his friend Mason to you at Sarah's service right after we released the butterflies. You said 'Hi' to each of us and then you saw the sadness in Mason's face. Over the next few seconds, I'm sure I witnessed one of the reasons that Sarah loved you so much; your face immediately showed the caring concern of seeing Mason's broken heart. Despite your own tremendous lost, at that moment, your heart was so concerned for others. I'm sure Sarah would have reacted exactly the same way as you if she had seen Mason like this. It was such a beautiful moment for me and I felt like Sarah was right there with us. Using Sarah's words, it was a "God Moment" for me.
Thank you all for sharing Sarah with Griffin and I. She made a wonderful and special difference in our lives and we will always be better because of her. I have always felt like Grif got an extra, extra special bonus by having Sarah as his 3rd grade teacher and now I wish we could have bottled up that magical year.
I think my tears are becoming more frequent as the days pass but I'm trying to 'stop and smell the roses' as Sarah wanted us all to do. Thank you all again for sharing and letting us love Sarah. - Debbie Green
Dearest Eric, Denise, David and Brooke,
ReplyDeleteI am one of the thousands of faithful follwers of Sarah's blog. I wanted to reach out to tell you that I still go to Sarah's blog each day and watch, or more acurately re-watch many of her entries. I continue to be blessed by her insight, her faithfulness, her hope and how well she suffered. She has been my teacher, although at 55, I left school very long ago. Thank you for sharing with a community who loved Sarah, despite never knowing her personally. She changed lives. She won souls and renewed relationships long dormant with our Savior. Please know that you continue to be lifted in prayer for healing and for comfort.
I am a member of Ecclessia and on occasion have seen Sarah at church. I came to learn of her illness when Chris Seay, the pastor at Ecclessia, told the congregation with tears in his eyes about her diagnosis. Soon after, Chris said that Sarah & Eric were having an impromptu wedding and that all were invited. I really wanted to attend, but did not. A friend from Austin, of all places, forwarded me a link to blog that she said I “must read.” As I clicked the link, I realized this was the girl from my church! Small world. In any event, Sarah's life has affected mine in a profound way. It could be that we are the same age, the fact that her smile reflects God's love or her eloquent and insightful words. I remember getting the email announcing her memorial service at church and my heart sank and tears immediately filled my eyes. Although I have never spoken to Sarah, her life has touched mine just as it's touched all of you. I am deeply saddened by Sarah's death and wish I spoke to her during one of the times I saw her at church. None-the-less, I can say that I believe my life perspective is changed by Sarah's light and love of Christ. What a beautiful person she was, I know this world is a better place because of her and I’m grateful for the impact her short life has had. May she rest peacefully in God’s love.
ReplyDelete- Megan Chapman
Sarah's Memorial Service was being shown again this morning on the webcast.
ReplyDeletethe tribute is beautiful. the last song is so beautiful, is there anywhere i can find or purchase it?
ReplyDeleteI came across Sarah's blog when I was researching for my Dad who has sarcoma that is spreading. I was inspired by Sarah's motto - Shine brightly fire fly, shine bright. What a great way to focus on the positive.
ReplyDeleteI suggested to my Dad that he have a motto. He really liked that idea and my Mom said it redirected his efforts and snapped him out of being depressed. His goal is to ride his antique tractor over the Mackinaw bridge in September so his saying is Plowing over cancer with my John Deere Tractor.
Sarah - thanks for sharing your journey and continuing to be an inspiration.