I am sorry it has been awhile since I last posted but my health has taken a turn and I've had to deal with some issues.
After finding some relief from my pain pump on Wednesday morning, I noticed the pain started to come back later in the day and I developed a fever which required a trip to the ER. After many tests they treated me with antibiotics and two blood transfusions to improve my hemoglobin count. We checked into the ER at 9pm Wednesday evening and were dismissed around 11am Thursday. That was just in time for our appointments at MD Anderson that day. First we had a pain management meeting to discuss the pain pump which showed relief, which is a great thing! I was exhausted because I did not get much sleep at the ER.
My second appointment at MD Anderson was shortened due to my therapist understanding my exhaustion. She was a great advocate for me and getting my pain reduced. Then my dad and I went to the cafeteria and the next thing we knew my pain pump had disconnected - which was traumatizing for me. Really all it entailed was my cord popping off. We went back up to the pain management room and my doctor immediately came and assisted me and decided that since the catheter is inserted in the spinal area, it was best to take it out to avoid infection. So they removed the pump even though I was supposed to experiment with it for a few days. The good thing was that we realized there was some positive gain from the pump.
By the time that was all said and done, it was time to move on to my chemo treatment appointment and I was very exhausted. My legs had started to feel weak. I had had such a long 24 hours but finally my dad and I made it home to meet Eric and friends from our church who had cooked us dinner. At this point my legs were definitely having difficulty supporting my body. So, I needed tremendous assistance getting from one place to another. Which was really scary . . . not knowing or understanding what was happening.
On Friday, I made calls to both my oncologist and my pain management doctor to try to figure out what is happening. The next thing I knew, I was back in the Emergency Room. Since then I have learned some disheartening news. My metastases in my spine has started to compress on the spinal cords which has resulted in a paralysis to my legs. This is a huge shock. It is an urgent condition that must be treated with radiation. So urgent that they started the radiation today, on a weekend. I have been admitted into the hospital for this ten day treatment. According to the doctors, the intensity of this radiation allows for it to only be performed one time.
Please pray with us that the radiation will stop the compression of the metastases on to the spinal cords. It is necessary to get this under control so that the paralysis will not spread to the rest of my body. Through all of this, I have been reminded by loving husband that this is not truly my home and one day I will be home and my whole body will be restored. Today we put our hope in Christ and press on.
Shine bright firefly shine bright.
Just some thoughts . . . dictated to my friend Elizabeth
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Oh my god, my poor sweetheart. I'm praying for you dear Sarah, what a terrible ordeal. I love you so, I know you must be scared. Know that my heart is with you now.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte
Praying for you! That your pain subsides and your body is healed!
ReplyDeleteOh Sarah! Thanks for keeping us up to date, even when you are at your weakest. Know that you are being lifted up by all those who love you. May you be surrounded by caring doctors and nurses, family and friends, and the love of Our Father. My prayer is that you are able to find comfort and peace.
ReplyDeleteKaryn
We continue to lift you up before the Father.
ReplyDeleteI am praying for you, Sarah.
ReplyDeleteLove always and in all ways. BD
ReplyDeleteSarah, You are in our prayers everyday. I hope and pray you will find relief from the pain and that this radiation will work.
ReplyDeleteSarah you are in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteYou are in our prayers. Fireflys shine bright always. They lead the rest of us. You are definately a firefly!
ReplyDeleteKathleen Proctor
Still lifting you up in prayer. May God's peace and grace be with you!
ReplyDeleteDear Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you got to attend church virtually today. Sorry I missed seeing you. I pray that this treatment be effective. I pray that you feel the power and love of Christ, and the love of all your friends surrounding you and lifting you and Eric up each moment of the day. Love, Marianne
Dear Sweet Sarah:
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for your total healing every day.
We love you,
Maria and family
What an update...my heart aches in ways I've never felt. Please feel the extraordinary love that I hope to contributing to which can bring comfort. Please know how much I admire and love you, and I can't wait until we can chat in person or on the phone next. I'm always here.
ReplyDeleteMuch Love,
Leita
Sweet Sarah, I am praying Isaiah 53:4 for you... "Surely, He took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows..." As we pray for your complete healing may you experience this in a mighty way.
ReplyDeleteWith love and prayers.
Sweet Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI'll continue to pray for comfort from pain and complete healing. Almost everyday I hear someone say...It's not a miracle until it seems impossible. We are all praying for a miracle.
Sweet Sarah, we are praying that every day the power and presence of the Holy Spirit is manifest to you and Eric. I also am so confident that part of what God is doing is showing to the world what a life of faith looks like. His name is glorifed in you and Eric. He loves you like the dickens! We pray asking that you have all that you need for each day and that restoration would come.
ReplyDeleteDear Sarah,
ReplyDeleteYou, Eric, and all your family are in my prayers. God is with you and I ask Him to give you comfort.
Pam
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteYou and Eric are in our prayers. Michelle sends you hugs and lots of love.
We love you!
Patty, Joey, Ann & Michelle
Precious Sarah,
ReplyDeleteWe don't know each other but we have a mutual friend in common. I've been following your blog and story since about September, and I have to admit I think of you daily. I am so inspired by your faith and strength. Honestly, it gets me through the petty "hardships" of my life. I am so sorry to hear that you're still in pain and that this cancer has undertaken an unrelentless journey in spite of your precious body. Stay strong. You have no idea how your strength has empowered others. I will continue to pray for you.
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine (I believe she knows you from high school) sent me your blog and asked that I keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
My heart aches in empathy for you. I am amazed by your courage, tenacity and FAITH through all your pain and uncertainty, and I imagine that those who are close to you feel you are an angel on earth. Your optimism and focus on the Lord is truly inspiring.
I will pray for you and ask that my husband do the same. In the meantime, I'd like to leave you with this:
"God of life, there are days when the burdens we carry chafe our shoulders and wear us down; when the road seems dreary and endless, the skies gray and threatening; when our lives have no music in them and our hearts are lonely, and our souls have lost their courage. Flood the path with light, we beseech you; turn our eyes to where the skies are full of promise."
I don't know you personally but as the person before, I found out about your blog from a friend of a friend. Your strength and character are amazing. I only hope that if I am ever in the same situation as you are now, I can be half the person you have shown to be. My prayers are with you and Eric. Shine bright firefly!
ReplyDeletePraying for you and Eric!
ReplyDeleteSweet Sarah...my heart aches to read this. Today, as always, I am holding you in the light. Keep shining!
ReplyDeleteSarah, I have been following your journey since September and as others have said before me, you are truly an inspiration. Even in the darkest moments you have a smile and your face and a positive attitude. I pray for you daily, and hope that you will beat this terrible disease. Keep shining, firefly!
ReplyDeleteAmy Dullnig
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI have been awaiting a new post, praying. Claiming healing for you and the peace of Christ for you and Eric and your parents. You are enriching lives, you are enriching mine. You shine bright in ways you cannot even know.
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI heard Mark Schulz's song "Closer to You" today and thought immediately of you. Please know that, throughout the world, you have touched complete strangers with your sweet smile and courageous spirit. My prayers of comfort and healing go out to you, and the hope that you will feel the giant arms of your Maker surrounding you, even in those darkest moments.
praying constantly for you and Eric.
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteMichael and I are praying for you and Eric. Thank you for sharing your challenges with us. Your courage is beautiful. We pray you will feel God's comfort with you as this journey continues.
Praying for you Sarah, continuously. Thank you for the light that shines through you.
ReplyDeleteDear Sarah-You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I am touched by your grace and peace as you move through your journey. I know you must be scared at times-remember you are not alone and you have many people who are praying for you. It sounds like your husband and family are just wonderful and very present for you. I wish I could give you a big hug and I know Sean and Ryan send their hugs and love to you as well. Thank you for continuing to be a great teacher-so many life lessons you pass along to all of us. Bless you Sarah-Elizabeth Daly
ReplyDeleteFelt led to your blog this evening. After reading, I know why. Praying for you, Sarah. May you find peace and comfort in spite of the challenges you face. Love to you and Eric from across the miles... Heather Reinelt
ReplyDeleteDear Sarah Dear Eric
ReplyDeleteMy heart aches with this news. God is with you both always and always and I know that you know that even in great times of doubt and dismay. My heart goes out to both of you - yours has been an arduous and long journey. I hope and pray daily for both of you - for God to continue to bestow upon both of you peace, faith, hope, joy and healing -- Both of you are examples of the unwavering human spirit that God intends all of us to have. Both of you have hearts of gold - to share with all of us this very personal journey - the impact of which has reached far and wide. Intentionally I pray for you as I write this - -- God bring your loving arms around this family of two - right now - Give them hope and serentity and complete bodily healing. God grant the family members of Sarah and Eric peace of mind and spirit. God please stand beside every single doctor, nurse and caregiver pf Sarah at this very critical time of her journey. Guide them to use their gifts of healing toward making Sarah whole again. God bless both of you. Kathleen
Praying for a miracle, Sarah...you are an inspiration to us all!
ReplyDeleteDear Sarah,
ReplyDeleteMay you feel the loving arms of Christ Jesus wrapped so tightly around you. May you never feel alone or scared - for you are surrounded by a loving husband and family all around you. You are on the hearts of so many of us who are not physically there. You are loved. You are precious. You are courageous. We walk thus journey beside you.
Much Love,
Lisa Johnson
Beautiful sweet, Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI am truly humbled and inspired by your faith and courage throughout your journey. Aaron and I are praying for the radiation to give you relief, that God gives the doctors guidance to help relieve your pain, and we pray for you and Eric and your family.
Much love and prayers,
Sarah Weinblatt and Aaron Henderson
Precious Sarah, I read Psalm 21 this morning; such wonderful Words! I am praying it for you... "He (or she) asked life of You, You gave it to him, length of days forever and ever." (4)
ReplyDeleteLoving and praying by faith... :)
Dear Sarah
ReplyDeleteWe continue to pray earnestly for you and Eric on this side of the Atlantic.
Love and prayers Penny, Ray and Jack Hare
Praying for you, Sarah. Lots of Love! Katie B.
ReplyDeleteSarah, I received an email today that included a link for a housecleaning service that is free to women on chemo. It is a large, national organization that reaches out to do the things that are so hard to do when you and your family are consumed with treatment. http://www.cleaningforareason.org/ If Eric has a moment, perhaps he can check this out and see if it is something that you two could benefit from. I know housecleaing must be very low on your priority list right now. But I think these folks love helping.
ReplyDeleteprayin' for you, I too used to be a sarcoma patient at MDA
ReplyDeletePraying for you, Sarah!
ReplyDeleteWe're still praying for a miracle, and we won't give up. I hope that this most recent treatment goes smoothly for you.
ReplyDeletelove you and miss you,
the campbells
Praying hard for you, Sarah. Shine bright.
ReplyDeletepraying, Sarah, praying.
ReplyDeleteSweet Sarah, I have been thinking about how the Bible says that husbands are to wash their wives with the Word. It's clear from your blog that Eric does that. It is my desire to do it as well. Today, sending this sweet reminder, "You alone (God) are my portion and my cup; You make my lot secure..." (Psalm 16:5)
ReplyDeleteWith love and prayers...
praying for a miracle, dear sarah. you are a light. stay strong and keep trusting.
ReplyDeleteStill praying for you, Sarah; for strength, peace, and comfort..
ReplyDeleteErin
"You who fear the Lord, praise Him... and stand in awe of Him...for He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; nor has He hidden His face from him; but when he cried to Him for help, He heard." (Psalm 22: 23-24) Sweet Sarah, may you rest in Lord Who loves you and hears us as we cry out for you.
ReplyDeleteWith love and prayer...
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI'm a friend of Brooke's and went to SU with her. I have been following your blog for awhile now and just wanted to share that we are lifting you up everyday in prayer. Your grace, strength, and devotion to God are inspiring.
Today we are praying for the radiation treatment to work and give you relief, for movement to be restored, for the pain to be eased, for the doctor's to have wisdom and compassion, and for you and your family to draw even closer to God.
Sending you love and prayers! Natalie & Josh
We all still love you!!!
ReplyDelete