Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Grant: I wish you would have answered your phone today

On my drive home from work today, I wanted to call my friend Grant. The weather was mild and sunny and I had a pretty good day; it seemed like the perfect day to call my friend. I looked through my contact list and found his name. I looked at the letters G-r-a-n-t and the phone number that has yet to be erased. I longed to talk to him today.

It hits me out of nowhere. I will hear a funny joke or see a movie advertisement and I will think of Grant. In those moments, I am sent back to a season in my life in which I was entertained by the greatest comedian I will ever know. If you ever had the opportunity to meet him, you know exactly what I mean. Yet, behind all of the laughs, was an amazingly, courageous man battling such a damaging disease, vasculitis.

I like to think that Grant is putting in good words for me in heaven, my guardian angel if you will. I look forward to seeing him again and thanking him in person (or spirit). Next month will be the one year anniversary of Grant's passing. I know that he is in a much better place, free of pain and needles and dialysis machines. But sometimes, I selfishly want him here. I want to hang out and watch movies. I want to laugh at his jokes. I want to sit by his side and keep him company.

So tonight, Grant, thank you for being a friend to many and an inspiration to all. You will always have a place in my heart. I love you, friend.

2 comments:

  1. I could copy and paste this post, put it in my blog, and title it: "Sarah: I wish you would have answered your phone today."

    Miss you, sweet girl. It's been a hard first few days at my brand new job and I know that you would have been my cheerleader :) But, then again, you are. Just from a different place.

    Love you.

    Hannah Key

    ReplyDelete