Today was the first day of my grieving process through my journey with cancer. All of a sudden a blanket of sadness and despair fell over me when I woke up from my nap this morning. I long for my old life, my life free from sickness. I long for having a normal day. I long for doing whatever whenever I want. I called my mother. And she listened to me grieve. I called my father, too. And he listened to me grieve. I am so thankful for my parents. And in the midst of it, my eric called. Just checking in. And he listened, too.
Today was a hard day. But I have much to be thankful for 1) I am alive, 2) I have my nausea under control -- my friend Monica is struggling with this, and 3) I have a disease that most people have heard about and understand -- my friend Leita is struggling with this.
Shine bright, firefly, shine bright.
Just some thoughts . . .
Monday, October 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am so sorry you are struggling with grief today! The Holy Spirit is shining through your strength Sarah and you will conquer cancer. Prayers will continue to be said for you and your friend.
ReplyDeleteI read your blog today and my heart goes out to you. I've been thinking about you and praying for you daily. While I do have your same experiences, I know that grief is a normal part of cancer, and indeed part of life. Sometimes you can side step it, but other times you must walk through it.
ReplyDeleteWhen I have been there, praying these verses has helped me:
Isaiah 43: 1- 3 But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, Jacob,
he who formed you, Israel:
"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior
And Matthew 28:20: "And remember, I am with you always to the end of the age."
Peace and love,
Marianne
Hang in there Sarah!
ReplyDeleteYou will get it all back (and then some) before you know it.
Keep making the best out of all the good that you have.
All our love,
The Schulers
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying often. Stay strong girl!
Love,
Brooke Moore
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
ReplyDelete-winston churchill
you are such an inspiration and light to so many who don't even know you. and it's ok to be sad - embrace the feeling, let it remind you that you are still fully alive!
Isaiah 61:1-3 Wonderful passage. my paraphrase: Jesus came to bind up the broken hearted, comfort those who mourn, bestow a crown of beauty instead of ashes, oil of gladness instead of mourning and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. So praying for you to feel his presence and to trust his word. God loves you so very much and weeps with you. much love
ReplyDeleteSarah, I have experienced fear and darkness with a very sick child, and this is what I learned: Let your family and friends be the hand of God to cling to and pull you through your darkest moments. Grieve and rest, and may you wake to renewal tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteMama of my friend had cancer and metastases everywhere. She had chemo many times in her hair fell out and grow again, and so a few times. Now she is healthy. You will be healthy too.
ReplyDeleteWith love form the Czech republic, Svetlana, Vitali, Masha and Nastya.
Thoughts & prayers with you as you continue on this journey.
ReplyDeleteGrace & peace ...
Deji.
Sarah, I don't comment frequently, but I read daily. You are a true inspiration in how you face you cancer with grace, dignity, and amazing courage. Grief is perfectly OK to feel, and often serves as a reminder of life's many blessings. Much love and many prayers are headed your way today.
ReplyDeleteLisa Unger
Dear Sarah
ReplyDeleteIt is ok to feel grief, as Lisa said much love and prayers for healing and rest are headed your way today.
Penny, Ray and Jack Hare, Brighton, England
Sarah it's o.k. for you to be sad! It's normal, it just breaks my heart that I can't be with you. The quote claire posted by Winston Churchill is so true. Just keep on going. God will see you through it I just know it! Love you
ReplyDelete